Few things about smoothies
It’s worth a noting a few things about smoothies before we run and get our blenders. Smoothies are different to Juices and there is a place in our lives for both.
Smoothies are made from “whole” ingredients. This means nothing is taken away. They are made in a high speed blender, which pulverizes the entire contents in to a smooth textured drink. Other items can be added to smoothies that aren’t quite as successful in a Juicer – have you tried juicing an avocado before? Nut butters, seeds, oils, mushrooms and many, many more, are all examples of what can be blended in a smoothie, that need to stay out of the juicer!
The benefits of a smoothie include-
- You get the whole ingredient and therefore a much more nutrient dense drink, full of all the vitamins and minerals available.
- You get to include ingredients that you can’t juice and still incorporate them in to a drink.
- They can feel a little more indulgent than a juice, even though they are still healthy!
- They will fill you up, as the insoluble fiber has not been removed.
- They also still contain soluble fiber that is associated with regulating blood sugar levels and lowering cholesterol.
- You can tailor them to meet your dietary requirements. For example, if you want a mood boosting drink, you can add Brazil nuts and their ability to create brain happy serotonin! Not getting adequate Omega 3? The produce a smoothie using Omega 3 rich seeds, like flax.
- Blenders are cheap to buy so an easy Hydro Fitness plan to begin with.
- Blenders are usually easy to clean.
The Not So Good Benefits
It can be easy to over eat with smoothies. They can be used as a meal replacement or snack but ought not be to added to an already nutrition packed meal.
If you don’t have a blender yet, don’t despair. You may have a stick blender that you can try some of these recipes out on? So get whizzing and get drinking.